TELECOMMUNICATIONS, MEDIA AND TECHNOLOGY (TMT)
We advise multinational telecommunications, media and technology clients on corporate/M&A, joint ventures, competition, data protection/information management, regulatory issues, employment, restructurings, intellectual property, commercial, tax issues, satellite communications services to local TV stations, and supply of location services via GPS and satellite, bid for a GSM license, financing of a local joint venture for the manufacturing of telephone equipment, equity participation in a non-voice data communications venture, financing the acquisition of cellular telecommunications network equipment, and operational licenses.
We also advise on registrations of the data processors with the Romanian Data Protection Agency (“RDPA”), security measures provided by the Romanian legislation with regard to the data processors, processing of employee personal data, notification of RDPA re collection, and processing of personal data of employees, and customers, set up of internal social networks that will to be used by employees of the company worldwide, transfer of personal data abroad, data protection issues re implementation of a corporate global database for litigation matters, implementation of management software systems which collect, process, and transfer abroad personal employee data, whistleblowing regulations in Romania.
- the largest internet search engine in the world re registration with the RDPA, general compliance matters re international data transfers, and the additional security measures required by the Romanian legislation with regard to the data processors;
- the largest online social networking platform worldwide re notification of transfer of employees’ personal data, compliance issues;
- the largest US online retailer re infringement of a trademark of its online shoe and clothing store;
- the European Union’s executive body re Romanian legal framework re electronic health records and their interaction with the provisions of cross-border eHealth services of the European Directives, of ePrescriptions, and the legal barriers for cross-border transfer of data from electronic health records and for the provision of cross-border eHealth services.
- a leading American multinational in house ware manufacturing and distribution re collection, processing, and transfer of the personal data of employees, and customers outside European Union, and drafting and filing the related Notification and supporting documents with RDPA;
- a global leading manufacturer of auto parts re various personal data protection issues, such as the collection, processing and transfer of the employee’s personal data abroad, and drafting and filing the related Notification and the supporting documents with RDPA;
- an American multinational energy and technology company re various personal data protection issues, including the implementation of a global database, which is a third-party hosted system for electronically viewing and managing significant litigation matters and for the automatic processing of outside counsel invoices, re status of the registrations with RDPA filed by various subsidiaries, implementation of a global database consisting of the personal data of the General Electric’s suppliers, and transfer of the personal data of the General Electric’s customers outside European Union;
- a leading South Korean manufacturer of heavy industrial equipment re transfer of HR personal data;
- a leading American multinational consumer goods company re notification of processing of employee personal data to RDPA;
- a leading American soft drinks company re notification of processing of employee personal data to RDPA;
- the global leader in the sector of reservation systems for airlines and travel agencies (global reservation systems)re various IT matters related to Worldspan and Galileo reservation systems, e-mail and/or online support resources to subscribers, release of the software programs to subscribers, and electronic signature and standard subscriber services agreements;
- an investment fund re permits and licenses for IT operations, compliance with IT regulations, sale of assets and subscriber lists to a major cable TV, Internet and voice services company;
- a European generic drugs company re a website design contract;
- the European Union’s executive body re activities undertaken by Romanian authorities and industry to address threats that undermine the confidence in the Information Society such as spam, spyware and malicious software;
- an American global semiconductor company that designs and markets wireless telecommunications products and services re supply of location services via GPS and satellite data communications;
- the owner and operator of satellites, which provide TV, radio, data and communications solutions re satellite communication issues;
- a Japanese electronics company re sale of participation interest in Orange Romania;
- an international telecommunications company re acquisition of cellular telecommunications network equipment;
- an international telecommunications company re non-voice data communications issues;
- a European multilateral development bank re equity participation and a loan to Emcom, a local Siemens joint venture for the manufacturing of telephone equipment;
- an international investment fund re investment in a Romanian non-voice data communications venture;
- an American telecommunications company re a bid for a GSM license.